How many times have we heard the saying ‘Preparation is the key to success’? Similarly one of my favourites is ‘In failing to prepare we are preparing to fail’. These sayings can be applied leading into any event in our lives from an up and coming job interview, to a 4 year olds birthday party, to painting the walls of your house. Preparation is crucial, however what comes before preparation???
Identifying the goal
Without establishing what it is we are setting out to achieve we have nothing to prepare for. And on the flip side, without establishing where we are now compared to that goal, how can we direct and design our preparation plan to ensure we are on the right track.
Each year in Adelaide the City to Bay fun run comes around and 35,000 people run, walk or wheel their way either 6 or 12km to the Glenelg. What a fantastic event!!! But every year during July and August we hear people say ‘one day I am going to participate in that event’ or ‘I would love to be fit enough to join in with the team at work’. If your goal is to participate or compete in this event then let’s start setting you up for success. Preparation for an event can:
- Improve your aerobic fitness and physical capacity
- Improve the time and ease at which you complete the event
- Increase confidence and self esteem
- Greater sense of achievement at completion
- Reduce injury risk
At iNform we are launching an 8 week training and race preparation program leading in to the City to Bay for 2016 to be held on the 18th September. The program will allow you to adequately set goals for what you want to achieve out of the event, establish your current baseline level of function and fitness and then plan and train for the event from there. For those interested in participating in the program they will receive:
- Baseline aerobic fitness testing
- Coaching around goals and behaviour change
- Weekly 1:1 individualised exercise sessions focusing on running/walking economy and corrective exercise
- Individually tailored running/walking training program
- Support and guidance leading up to the event
If you would like to know more about this 8 week program please call iNform on 84312111 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.